Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Happy New Year and Back to School!

Hey team! I can't believe it is already January!! And our trip to Kenya is so close and it is so monumental that in my own life I've started marking my calendar by it! For example, I find myself saying "after Kenya I'll go home to Alabama again" or "that needs to happen at least by Kenya." I can't believe it is almost here!

I want to share with you why this trip is so important to me! A few years ago, I was volunteering at my church back in Alabama and I went to a conference/summer camp with some students. I was studying broadcasting and media in college so all of the fancy videos and camera setup that they had there really excited me. One night they showed some videos about some mission trips. I had been on a few local trips at the time but none outside of the US. These videos were so inspiring and really showed me a way that I could tie my learnings in school to a passion that I had for people. But even more than that, as I watched the people in other countries worshipping God, it brought the idea to my mind that in Heaven we are going to worship God with people from every nation and all walks of life! And then I felt God asking me, "Why are you going to wait until you get to Heaven?" I didn't have a good answer! That day God planted a new desire in my heart to visit the nations of the world and worship him alongside them. I do want to travel the world but really I just want to see God's people and see his creation!

Since that day, I have visited Jamaica and the Dominican Republic. Both countries were incredible and the love for God that the people had really impacted my life. Kenya is now the next step. I know it is going to change my life all over again! I also know it is going to do the same for each one of you!

Becka Holley

No comments:

Post a Comment